1) Crossing hot sand with bare feet, aim to step in the deepest footprints – it’s cooler there. And of course, the white lines on the crosswalk.
2) Surfers can ‘see’ the ocean floor just by looking at how the waves break. They can spot the deep and shallow spots, and find the channel that makes the paddle out much easier.
3) Hollywood NEVER gets it right.
4) Surfers can tell if you’re a surfer just by the way you carry your board.
5) Surfers have a talent for discretion whenever they change in a crowded parking lot.
6) When the waves are good, sewage spills and shark warning signs are meaningless.
7) Shortboards suck for learning.
8) Rip currents can be as dangerous as they are helpful.
9) There’s always more paddling than surfing.
10) Afternoons are for kooks and barbecues.
1) Crossing hot sand with bare feet, aim to step in the deepest footprints – it’s cooler there. And of course, the white lines on the crosswalk. 2) Surfers can ‘see’ the ocean floor just by looking at how the waves break. They can spot the deep and shallow spots, and find the channel that […]
Talking ‘Dude’ 101 Surfing carries a long tradition of slang terms. Most of us know the old-school terms like ‘wipeout’ and ‘cowabunga’. Here’s a list of some of our newer favorites. This should help you translate things your instructor says. “Going off” – “Dude, Brookhurst is going OFF!” This means the waves are good. You […]
Surfing Basics FIRST: • Location Location: Start in a surfing area that’s within your abilities. Ask around. • Always start off with a BIG board, and a SMALL wave, and NOT the other way around 🙂 IN THE WATER: • Unless the waves are tiny, you should be learning in the broken ‘whitewater’ waves, on […]
Chris Holtz has been coming to Banzai Surf School every week for the past four years. It might seem like he should’ve ‘graduated’ by now, but Chris isn’t our average surfer. In 1995, a twenty-year-old Chris – known in his neighborhood as the indestructible kid who rode his BMX bike off the roof – crashed […]
Most reputable surf schools won’t offer Groupon surf lessons; Underpaid and overworked instructors is a recipe for disaster. Cheap equipment doesn’t help either.
The shark scare in Orange County is a non-issue. Not only that, these little sharks may be a good thing.
School or Camp: Though the terms are used interchangeably, when I speak here of a ‘surf school’, I think of a place – perhaps open beyond summer – where people go for surf lessons. When I say ‘surf camp’, I’m referring to the place where you drop the kids off every day during summer, a […]
Confession: I may be the only surf instructor in Huntington who hasn’t been hit by a stingray. I’ll credit this to two things: • My good habit of ‘shuffle and stomp’ to let them know I’m coming, • Limiting the area that I/we are occupying, • and my vulcan atomic force-field :). For surf instructors, […]
A little boy is learning to surf, and when he and the father get to the beach, once again, the waves are windy and sloppy. The boy asks, “Daddy, what makes the wind blow?” Father says, “It’s caused when daddy puts on his wetsuit”. Did you hear about the guy who was new to Huntington […]